Dell PowerVault MD3220 SAS Storage Array
Exceptional Performance, Flexibility and Scalability
Sorry, this product is no longer available, Please contact usfor a replacement.
The Dell PowerVault MD3220 series of storage arrays is a high-performance 6Gb shared storage solution providing high availability data access. As the next generation of our directly connected shared Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) arrays, this series offers exceptional flexibility and scalability and is ideal for consolidating up to four servers in clustered or virtualized environments. The PowerVault MD3200 array is well suited for deployments where cost per GB is a key requirement. The PowerVault MD3220 array is an optimal solution when cost/performance (IOPS) is a primary consideration.
The PowerVault™ MD3220 series arrays are a dedicated, high-availability (HA), next-generation shared-storage arrays designed to offer superior performance and capacity for storage consolidation. This helps simplify server virtualization, deployment flexibility and scalability.
- Maximize performance with 6 Gb/s serial-attached SCSI (SAS), 2GB cache per controller and solid-state drive (SSD) support.
- Choose from available single and dual controller models.
- Mix and match drives to create a tiered-storage environment.
- Scale up as you grow, supporting a base configuration of 120 hard drives, with an optional upgraded up to 192 hard drives.
High-Performance, Flexibility and Scalability
The PowerVault MD3220 are Dell next-generation of directly connected shared serial attached SCSI (SAS) arrays, and are qualified for Microsoft Hyper-V™, Citrix XenServer and VMware virtual environments. Reference the hardware support matrix for more details.
Move Up in Performance
MD3220 SAS arrays deliver an exceptional price/performance ratio, offering unmatched value in a dedicated shared-storage solution.
- 6 Gb/s SAS doubles the throughput capability compared to the previous generation of Dell™ SAS.
- Four SAS ports and 2GB cache per controller ensure peak system performance for large database applications.
- Optional high-performance tier firmware enhancement helps boost performance even further.
- SSD support optimizes the system for the most demanding I/O (input/output) applications.
- Four times the base capacity over previous generation arrays.
- Six time capacity over previous generation with optional PFK for hard drives.
New Levels in Flexibility and Scalability
MD3220 SAS arrays enable you to mix and match components to create a tiered data environment.
- Directly connect up to eight non-HA-configured servers or four HA-configured servers to a single MD3220 storage system.
- Deploy up to a base total of 120 hard disk drives, with an option to upgrade to 192 hard drives, by simply plugging in PowerVault MD1200 and/or PowerVault MD1220 expansion enclosures behind the MD3220 arrays.
- Scale your system with a mix of both 3.5-inch and 2.5-inch hard drives.
The PowerVault VMware vCenter Plug-In 5.0 support provides VMware administrators with powerful capabilities designed to increase their productivity and simplify their jobs.
The Plug-In is designed to monitor and manage the MD arrays used in conjunction with VMware virtualization software, allowing administrators to monitor and provision the storage subsystems they employ — with the ultimate goal of ensuring the performance and availability of the virtual infrastructure they are managing.
MD storage systems are certified for use in virtualized application environments with VMware ESX, Citrix XenServer and Microsoft Hyper-V™ software. Please see hardware support matrix for more details.
In addition, the MD series storage arrays support vSphere™ Storage APIs for Storage Awareness (VASA). This enables unprecedented coordination between vSphere/vCenter and storage arrays. It provides built-in storage insight in vCenter to support intelligent VM storage provisioning, bolster storage troubleshooting and enable new DRS-related use cases for storage.
System management is easy
The MD3220 arrays are managed by next-generation MD Storage Manager, an intuitive, easy-to-use client-based application.
- Two different management paths offer easy user interaction, even for those with only a basic familiarity of storage systems.
- The enterprise window feature monitors multiple systems through a single interface.
- Wizard-based array management helps simplify the configuration process.
- Software detects and alerts you of any problems and launches an automatic recovery guru to help troubleshoot and resolve the issues.
Tested, validated and warranted to operate within the highest current temperature and humidity guidelines issued by ASHRAE (American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers), the MD Family of arrays are capable of short-term, excursion-based operation in temperatures up to 113º F (45º C). By leveraging the thermal and reliability advantages engineered into this portfolio of equipment, customers are able to run data centers even warmer, helping reduce additional maintenance and infrastructure costs, while enabling lower overall energy consumption.
Go one step further.
Choose optional premium features for added peace of mind. With additional levels of data protection and availability, you can help reduce data loss and corruption as well as system downtime in case of a storage failure.
Point-in-time copies of data provide easy recovery for files accidentally altered or deleted.
- Virtual disk copy (VDC)
Full, replicated copy of source data enables quick and seamless virtual disk relocation and disk-based backup and recovery.
- Self-encrypting drives (SEDs)
Drive-level encryption renders data useless to unauthorized users, even if the drive has been removed from the enclosure.
- Instant Secure Erase
Permanently and securely removes data when SEDs are repurposed or decommissioned.
- High-Performance Tier (HPT)
Meet the most demanding performance requirements for your organization to remain productive and competitive.
- Additional Hard Drive Premium Feature Key
Ability to add up to 192 hard drives providing additional capacity to the MD Series of arrays.
- Pricing and product availability subject to change without notice.