Dell PowerEdge MX740c Compute Sled
Efficient, feature-rich modular server for software-defined workloads
The Dell EMC PowerEdge MX740c, designed for the PowerEdge MX kinetic infrastructure ecosystem, provides a flexible and dense two socket compute power for the modern data center. A flexible two-socket, single-width sled server ideal for dense compute. Designed for virtualization, software-defined storage, HCI, and big data.
A fully configurable single-width compute sled powered by up to two-28-core 2nd Generation Intel Xeon Scalable processors. Each PowerEdge MX740c supports 24 DDR4 DIMM slots and up to six 2.5-inch SAS/SATA (HDD/SDD) or Express Flash NVMe PCIe SSDs drives. A maximum of eight MX740c servers can be installed in the PowerEdge MX7000 chassis.
- Flexible memory configurations from capacities of up to 1.5TB (RDIMM) or 3TB (LRDIMM); support up to 192GB NVDIMM for large in-memory applications
- Supports up to 12 slots for Intel OptaneTM DC persistent memory PMem (6.1TB) with a maximum total capacity of 7.68TB per server
- Choice of optional M.2 Boot Optimized Storage Solution (BOSS) or Internal Dual microSD Module (IDSDM), to streamline operating system and data storage
- Option of Express Flash NVMe PCIe SSD for high performing direct attached storage requirements
Intelligently automate to accelerate operations
As with every PowerEdge server, embedded, agent-free integrated Dell Remote Access Controller (iDRAC) 9 simplifies server systems management. Dell EMC OpenManage Enterprise – Modular Edition (OME-Modular) provides comprehensive insystem management within the PowerEdge MX7000 server chassis. Delivering key abilities of OpenManage Enterprise systems management, OME-Modular unified web/RESTful API interface manages the entire PowerEdge MX environment, including computer, storage and networking.
- Deploy, monitor, manage, configure, update, troubleshoot and remediate Dell EMC servers from any location, regardless of operating system or hypervisor presence or state.
- Speed systems management performance with enhanced iDRAC9 processor, up to four times better performance over the prior generation.
Securely run IT operations and workloads
PowerEdge servers deliver an immutable silicon-based chain of trust and combines it with comprehensive management tools to provide robust layers of security across hardware and firmware. The result is an integrated Cyber-Resilient Architecture that provides a hardened server design to protect, detect and recover from cyber-attacks.
- Signed firmware updates using SHA-256 hashing with 2048-bit RSA encryption for signature for all key server components
- System Lockdown (requires iDRAC Enterprise or Datacenter license) to prevent unauthorized configuration or firmware changes to a server when using Dell EMC tools
- System erase to, with proper authentication, securely and quickly erase data form local storage (HDD/SSD/NVMe) and embedded flash devices
Building blocks for the modern data center
Optimized for Dell EMC’s PowerEdge MX kinetic infrastructure ecosystem, the PowerEdge MX740c server, with dense compute, large memory capacity and rich set of storage subsystem options, delivers the flexibility and agility needed in today’s software-defined data centers.
- Single-width; up to eight sleds per PowerEdge MX7000 chassis.
- One or two, up to 28-core 2nd Generation Intel Xeon Scalable processors per sled, up to 448 cores per chassis.
- Up to 24 DDR4 DIMMs slots, 3TB max memory and speeds up to 2933MT/s; up to 192 DIMMS per chassis for up to 24.5TB max memory.
- Supports up to 12 slots for Intel® Optane™ DC persistent memory DCPMM (6.1TB) with a maximum total capacity of 7.68TB per server.
- Up to six 2.5" drive bays for SAS/SATA (HDD/SDD) and NVMe PCIe SSD support plus optional M.2 boot.
Dynamically provision to maximize workload performance and drive efficient infrastructure
Disaggregate and granularly reassign resources with the PowerEdge MX architecture to maximize utilization and minimize overprovisioning and stranded infrastructure. PowerEdge MX740c fully configurable, no compromise compute provides impressive performance in compact customizable configurations for workload optimization.
- Scale compute resources with second-generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors and tailor performance based on your unique workload requirements.
- Flexible memory configurations from capacities of 8GB to 3TB; RDIMMs and LRDIMMs for reduced memory loading and greater density.
- High performance Express Flash NVMe PCIe SSD delivers exceptional endurance in demanding enterprise environments.
Intelligently automate to accelerate operations and effectiveness
Deploy and provision PowerEdge MX servers faster and automate daily operations with agent-free lifecycle management. Unify and simplify management of compute, storage and fabric with Dell EMC OpenManage Enterprise – Modular Edition within the MX7000 chassis.
- Up to four times more performance with integrated Dell Remote Access Controller 9 (iDRAC9) for easy lifecycle management from deploy to retirement.
- Sixteen fewer steps and 30% time savings to perform basic server setup using Android or Apple mobile device with Quick Sync 2
- Full Lifecycle Management of more than 5,000 nodes within 611 chassis over 7 continents simultaneously on a single OpenManage Enterprise console.
Integrate innovation to maximize longevity and minimize disruption
Designed to support future generations of compute sleds regardless of processor/chipset architecture and I/O needs, the PowerEdge MX responsive design helps eliminate the uncertainty of planning for emerging workload and data center needs. Industry leading thermal architecture, unique no mid plane design, forward thinking mechanical design and control algorithms for dense configurations allows for emerging technologies to easily integrate with existing infrastructure.
- Multi-generational assurance for at least three sever processor microarchitecture generations.
- More effective cooling and more disruptive fabric upgrades with the no mid plane design - direct compute to I/O connections.
- Simplified storage capacity, up to 118 2.5” direct-attached SAS hot-serviceable drives in a single MX7000 chassis when paired with PowerEdge MX5016s storage sled.
Systems Management and Security Solutions
OpenManage systems management
The Dell Technologies OpenManage systems management portfolio helps tame the complexity of your IT environment with tools and solutions to discover, monitor, manage, update, and deploy your PowerEdge infrastructure.
PowerEdge and OpenManage solutions integrate tools across the portfolio to help organizations automate the server lifecycle, optimize operations, and scale efficiently.
PowerEdge servers are made with a cyber resilient architecture that builds in security at every phase of the product lifecycle, from the silicon root of trust and secured component verification, to signed firmware and drift detection, to BIOS recovery.
|Dell EMC PowerEdge MX740c Specifications|
|Memory||24 DIMM slots in total; supports DDR4 RDIMMs, LRDIMMs; up to 2933 MT/s speed, 1.5TB maximum (RDIMM), 3TB maximum (LRDIMM)|
|Drive bays||Front: Up to 6 x 2.5” SAS/SATA (HDD/SDD) or NVMe PCIe SSD|
|Power supplies||MX7000 chassis: up to 6 3000W; PSU and grid redundancy support|
|Fans||MX7000 chassis: 5 rear and 4 front-accessible hot-swap fans|
|Embedded management||MX7000 chassis:
On compute sled:
|Integrations and Connections||Integrations:
|Networking Options (NDC)||
|Operating Systems and Hypervisors||
|OEM-ready||From bezel to BIOS to packaging, your servers can look and feel as if they were designed and built by you.|
Support & Services:
Dell Technologies offers complete end-to-end services
Optimizing the IT lifecycle is vital. We have expert services for all lifecycle phases that save you time and resources, reduce effort, and improve your IT experience.
Consulting services give expert guidance to help you grow, optimize and transform your IT environment at your own pace and budget. Dell employ a broad range of certified consultants and engineers, backed by program management teams, who can deliver deep technical expertise. Dell gives you the confidence that your project will be done right and on time.
Gain the freedom to focus on your business transformation with the support expertise and insights Dell is known for across the globe. Choose the right support based on the criticality of specific systems with available automated predictive analysis, collaborative third-party assistance and a Technology Service Manager.
ProDeploy Enterprise Suite helps you get more out of technology starting on day one. Residency Service provides ongoing transition assistance to accelerate adoption. Trust our experts to lead deployments from basic hardware installations through planning, configuration and complex integrations to help you achieve business outcomes today and tomorrow.
Training & Certification
Education Services offers an expansive suite of training services with multiple delivery methods, including instructor-led, self-paced online and virtual instructor-led training. With comprehensive and flexible training programs, we make it easy to ensure your staff has the skills they need to successfully manage and utilize your new technology to its full potential.
- Pricing and product availability subject to change without notice.