Dell PowerEdge MX840c Compute Sled
Scalable, high-performance modular server for demanding data-intensive workloads
The Dell EMC PowerEdge MX840c, designed for the PowerEdge MX kinetic infrastructure ecosystem, provides dense four-socket compute, memory and storage for the modern data center. A flexible, storage-rich, four-socket compute sled. Designed for data-driven, mission-critical applications and performance workloads.
Powerful and flexible, four-socket double-width compute sled powered by up to four 28-core 2nd Generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors. PowerEdge MX840c features a large memory footprint with up to 48 DDR4 DIMMs slots. It supports up to eight 2.5-inch SAS/SATA (HDD/SDD) or Express Flash NVMe PCIe SSD drives. The PowerEdge MX7000 chassis supports up to four MX840c servers.
- Exceptionally broad memory configuration capacities of up to 3TB (RDIMM) or 6.1TB (LRDIMM); support up to 192GB NVDIMM for large in-memory applications
- Supports up to 24 slots for Intel® OptaneTM DC persistent memory PMem (12.2TB) with a maximum total capacity of 15.36TB per server
- Choice of optional M.2 Boot Optimized Storage Solution (BOSS) or Internal Dual microSD Module (IDSDM), to streamline operating system and data storage
- Option of Express Flash NVMe PCIe SSD for high performing direct attached storage requirements
Simplify management and intelligently automate
All PowerEdge server feature the embedded, agent-free integrated Dell Remote Access Controller (iDRAC) 9 to simplify server systems management. Dell EMC OpenManage Enterprise – Modular Edition (OME-Modular) provides comprehensive insystem management within the PowerEdge MX7000 server chassis. Delivering key abilities of OpenManage Enterprise systems management, OME-Modular unified web/RESTful API interface manages the entire PowerEdge MX environment, including computer, storage and networking.
- Deploy, monitor, manage, configure, update, troubleshoot and remediate Dell EMC servers from any location, regardless of operating system or hypervisor presence or state.
- Speed systems management performance with enhanced iDRAC9 processor, up to four times better performance over the prior generation.
Securely run IT operations and workloads
PowerEdge server security is built-in, not bolted-on. The MX840c delivers an immutable silicon-based chain of trust and combines it with comprehensive management tools to provide robust layers of security across hardware and firmware. The result is an integrated Cyber-Resilient Architecture that provides a hardened server design to protect, detect and recover from cyber-attacks.
- Signed firmware updates using SHA-256 hashing with 2048-bit RSA encryption for signature for all key server components
- System Lockdown (requires iDRAC Enterprise or Datacenter license) to prevent unauthorized configuration or firmware changes to a server when using Dell EMC tools
- System erase to, with proper authentication, securely and quickly erase data form local storage (HDD/SSD/NVMs) and embedded flash devices
Set the foundation for the modern data center
Designed for Dell EMC’s PowerEdge MX kinetic infrastructure ecosystem, the PowerEdge MX840c server, with dense compute, exceptionally large memory capacity and highly expandable storage subsystem, delivers the flexibility and agility needed in today’s demanding, shared-resource environments.
- Double-width; up to four sleds per PowerEdge MX7000 chassis.
- Two or four, up to 28-core second-generation Intel Xeon Scalable processors per sled, up to 448 cores per chassis.
- Up to 48 DDR4 DIMMs slots, 6 TB max memory and speeds up to 2933MT/s; up to 192 DIMMS per chassis for up to 24.5TB max memory.
- Supports up to 24 DIMM slots for Intel® Optane DC persistent memory DCPMM (12.2TB) with a maximum total capacity of 15.36TB per server.
- Up to eight 2.5" drive bays for SAS/SATA (HDD/SDD) and NVMe PCIe SSD support plus optional M.2 boot.
Dynamically configure for optimal workload performance and efficiency
PowerEdge MX architecture disaggregates and granularly reassigns resources, maximizing utilization, minimizing overprovisioning and stranded infrastructure. PowerEdge MX840c fully configurable, no compromise compute maximizes scalability to enhance workload performance and optimization.
- Scale compute resources with second-generation Intel Xeon Scalable processors and tailor performance based on your unique workload requirements.
- Flexible memory configurations from capacities of 8GB to 6TB; RDIMMs and LRDIMMs for reduced memory loading and greater density.
- Large, high-performance onboard storage footprint with double the HDD drives per compute sled.
Intelligently automate to accelerate deployment and provisioning
Deploy and provision PowerEdge MX servers faster and automate daily operations with agent-free lifecycle management. Unify and simplify management of compute, storage and fabric with Dell EMC OpenManage Enterprise – Modular Edition within the MX7000 chassis.
- Up to four times more performance with integrated Dell Remote Access Controller 9 (iDRAC9) for easy lifecycle management from deploy to retirement.
- Sixteen fewer steps and 30% time savings to perform basic server setup using Android or Apple mobile device with Quick Sync 2.
- Full Lifecycle Management of more than 5,000 nodes within 611 chassis over 7 continents simultaneously on a single OpenManage Enterprise console.
Integrate innovation to maximize longevity and minimize disruption
PowerEdge MX infrastructure’s responsive and future-ready design mitigates the uncertainty of planning for future workload and data center needs. Industry leading thermal architecture, unique no mid plane design, forward thinking mechanical design and control algorithms for dense configurations allows for emerging technologies to easily integrate with existing infrastructure.
- Multi-generational assurance for at least three sever processor microarchitecture generations.
- More effective cooling and non-disruptive fabric upgrades with the no mid plane design - direct compute to I/O connections.
- Simplified storage capacity expansion with the PowerEdge MX5016s which accommodates up to sixteen 2.5” hot-pluggable SAS drives that can be granularly assigned to servers.
Systems Management and Security Solutions
OpenManage systems management
The Dell Technologies OpenManage systems management portfolio helps tame the complexity of your IT environment with tools and solutions to discover, monitor, manage, update, and deploy your PowerEdge infrastructure.
PowerEdge and OpenManage solutions integrate tools across the portfolio to help organizations automate the server lifecycle, optimize operations, and scale efficiently.
PowerEdge servers are made with a cyber resilient architecture that builds in security at every phase of the product lifecycle, from the silicon root of trust and secured component verification, to signed firmware and drift detection, to BIOS recovery.
|Dell EMC PowerEdge MX840c Specifications|
|Memory||48 DIMM slots in total; supports DDR4 RDIMMs, LRDIMMs; up to 2933 MT/s speeds, 3TB maximum (RDIMM), 6TB maximum (LRDIMM)|
|Drive bays||Front: Up to 8 x 2.5” SAS/SATA (HDD/SDD) or NVMe PCIe SSD|
|Power supplies||MX7000 chassis: up to 6 3000W; PSU and grid redundancy support|
|Fans||MX7000 chassis: 5 rear and 4 front-accessible hot-swap fans|
|Form Factor||Up to 8 independent hot-swappable, 1U single-width compute sled in a MX7000 chassis|
|Embedded management||MX7000 chassis:
On compute sled:
|Integrations and Connections||Integrations:
|Networking Options (NDC)||
|Operating Systems and Hypervisors||
|OEM-ready||From bezel to BIOS to packaging, your servers can look and feel as if they were designed and built by you.|
Support & Services:
Dell Technologies offers complete end-to-end services
Optimizing the IT lifecycle is vital. We have expert services for all lifecycle phases that save you time and resources, reduce effort, and improve your IT experience.
Consulting services give expert guidance to help you grow, optimize and transform your IT environment at your own pace and budget. Dell employ a broad range of certified consultants and engineers, backed by program management teams, who can deliver deep technical expertise. Dell gives you the confidence that your project will be done right and on time.
Gain the freedom to focus on your business transformation with the support expertise and insights Dell is known for across the globe. Choose the right support based on the criticality of specific systems with available automated predictive analysis, collaborative third-party assistance and a Technology Service Manager.
ProDeploy Enterprise Suite helps you get more out of technology starting on day one. Residency Service provides ongoing transition assistance to accelerate adoption. Trust our experts to lead deployments from basic hardware installations through planning, configuration and complex integrations to help you achieve business outcomes today and tomorrow.
Training & Certification
Education Services offers an expansive suite of training services with multiple delivery methods, including instructor-led, self-paced online and virtual instructor-led training. With comprehensive and flexible training programs, we make it easy to ensure your staff has the skills they need to successfully manage and utilize your new technology to its full potential.
- Pricing and product availability subject to change without notice.